History

Craigpine Timber is a private company, established in 1923 as Port Craig Timber. In addition to its forestry assets, the company has a sawmill based in Winton.

Craigpine Timber, based in the South Island of New Zealand, has been exporting timber for over 90 years. Craigpine Timber currently export high quality sawn Radiata Pine to more than 20 global markets. Craigpine Timber hope to be at the forefront of forestry for at least another 90 years.

Craigpine Timber still believes in traditional face-to-face business, and staff regularly visit offsure markets. This ensures Craigpine Timber fosters enduring, mutually benefical business relationships and gain a deeper insight into overseas timber markets.

The Craigpine Timber Sawmill in Winton, first purchased in 1970, is now a state of the art facility and supports the local surrounding community, through employment for both forest contractors and sawmill personnel. Craigpine invests heavily in new technology for its sawmill, to ensure it is a first-class timber supplier worldwide.

Craigpine also owns six forest estates in the South Island of New Zealand. Craigpine Timber was the first company in Australasia to have our forests and practises around forestry FSC® certified. Craigpine Timber continues to strive to promote sustainable forestry practises and to be responsible for the world's forests. Combined with the sawmills Chain of Custody, this allows Craigpine Timber to offer 100% pure, FSC® Timber when required.

The availbility of New Zealand Pine as a sustainable and renewable resource makes it an attractive and acceptable alternative to timber species from the world's dwindling natural forests. Southern New Zealand Pine is a high-grade timber product, which is from  a strong, tall tree. This means Craigpine Timber produces a premium pine product, which is versatile, light coloured, and free of knots, allowing for superior machining, and an ideal product for colour matching.

Craigpine Timber is owned by Amalgameted Holdings Ltd, which was formed by the Black Family from Melbourne, who descend from international New Zealand Cricketer Sir Authur Sims' only daughter, Margaret Black.

Request a call

2012

(July 1st) City Forests site in Milburn leased resulting in Craigpine having more kiln drying capacity and better access to pruned log resource.

2000 - 2012

Craigpine Timber, with the help of the Black family, have spent a considerable amount upgrading the Winton Mill; new Windsor Kilns were installed in 2000, a large bin sorter was installed in 2007, and a state of the art sling sorter was recently completed, ensuring Craigpine will continue to be a first class timber supplier worldwide.

1998

(4th of February) Craigpine Timber Ltd was issued its FSC® (Forest Steward Council) Certificate. (In late 1997 Craigpine Timber Ltd was the first forestry company in Australasia to comply with FSC® accreditation).

1997

Company wins TradeNZ award for exporting. Award recognised Craigpine's success of doubling exports during the year and increasing exports to China by 600% over the previous 3 years.

1988

Name of company changed from Port Craig Timber Company to Craigpine Timber Ltd, to reflect its main business of procuring and selling Radiata Pine.

1978

The forestry division was set up, to control all the native and exotic forests owned by the Port Craig Group.

1976

There was little freehold bush remaining and the future supply of indigenous timber was uncertain. Port Craig Timber Company began to use Radiata Pine as an economic and sustainable alternative to New Zealand's Native Timber.

1970s

Marshall and Sons Sawmill in Winton was taken over after 4 years of negotiations and careful planning by Mrs Margaret Black for the opportune moment.

1948

The supply of Rimu was not keeping up with demand, New Zealand Beech began to be processed too.

1940 - 1960

Port Craig was doing exceptionally well. Timber production in New Zealand could not meet the demand. To overcome a labour shortage Bert Craig's House was purchased in 1961 by the company and turned into flats for immigrant workers.

1939

The outbreak of WWII stimulated the economy as demand increased to build army camps.

1936

There is a huge increase in demand for timber. The Depression years are over, in 1938 there were five times the amount of houses under construction compared to 1932.

1930s

During the rest of the Depression years, Port Craig Timber rode out the storm, from its new base in Invercargill, with nine staff, and Bert Craig doubling as yard foreman, and salesman.

1928

(6th of October) Due to the Depression, work is ceased at Port Craig Mill. 210 people
who had been made jobless and homeless arrived at Bluff from Port Craig.
The Port Craig Mill reopened briefly in 1930, but closed permanently after nine months,
leaving Port Craig forever as a ghost town, which can now be visited on the Humpridge Track.
http://www.humpridgetrack.co.nz/

1928

(Early) Thanks to an ingenious cable loading system the output at Port Craig broke New Zealand records. Port Craig was the largest and most modern in New Zealand at the time.

1927

The son of John Craig (Port Craig's visionary and namesake, who passed away in 1917), Bert, is appointed as Foreman.

1925

Sims Cooper and Company gives much needed cash investment. Thanks to an old cricketing friendship between first class players Daniel Reese and Sir Arthur Sims.

1923

(20th of November) Port Craig Timber Company was incorporated to oversee Port Craig Mill operations and sell timber from the new Invercargill offices.
(23rd of August) First load of timber delivered to Bluff.

1921

(22nd of September) Official opening of Port Craig Mill in the South West of
New Zealand

1916

Two key players of the Marlborough Timber Company; Daniel Reese and John Craig,
began preparations for logging native New Zealand Rimu in the South West of New Zealand.
site powered by - Turboweb :: Simple Web Manager